Colored-character displayed on CTRL-C ?

Recent versions of bash have this very nifty feature where, when you hit CTRL-C to terminate a command line and get a new prompt on a new line, something like ^C with a yellow background is displayed to help remind you that the command is not actually executed.

With my vision impairment, simply using the event number in my shell prompt is not sufficient. I'd really like ideas on the best way to tell zsh to display a character with a yellow background on CTRL-C, followed by taking me to a new prompt on the next line.

I'm speculating this would start by setting up a trap on the right signal?