Re: splitting and assigning

Use the right tool for the job. At some point you need to consider
switching to a different language. In Python the task is trivial. This is
from an iPython interactive session:

In [1]: data = ['md5sum#1  pathname#1', 'md5sum#2  pathname#2']

In [2]: data = [d.split() for d in data]

In [3]: data
Out[3]: [['md5sum#1', 'pathname#1'], ['md5sum#2', 'pathname#2']]

In [4]: checksums, pathnames = zip(*data)

In [5]: checksums
Out[5]: ('md5sum#1', 'md5sum#2')

In [6]: pathnames
Out[6]: ('pathname#1', 'pathname#2')