Re: Multi-word aliases?

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Dominik Vogt <vogt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:59:09AM +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Dominik Vogt <vogt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > According to the man page, you can only define new aliases, not
>> > overwrite subcommands.
>> >
>> >   $ man git-config
>> >   To avoid confusion and troubles with script usage, aliases that
>> >   hide existing git commands are ignored.
>>
>> Is there a strong reason you don't want to write "git rk" or whatever
>> at the command line?
>
> Yes: I don't want to create my own syntax that nobody understands
> but me and then be unable to work on a plain system without silly
> "custom" configuration.  I tried it but found the mechanism
> awkward and confusing - and the colleagues did not understand what
> I was doing.

I think in the long run you'll run into more trouble if you expect the
behaviour of commands that do something to be different than it is,
than if you type a command that doesn't exist which then makes you
realize you have to type out the full command. But in this particular
case the resulting difference isn't very life-threatening :).

--
Mikael Magnusson