git along

Gentlemen,

The 'git' manual being longer than War and Peace, let me ask
some simple questions:

      git clone git:where-its-coming-from where-its-going-to

... simple. If I rerun it with the same target dir, will it just
update, or will it do the full monty all over again? Would any
files I've added be preserved, or nuked?

Or do we:

    git update ...

Can we:

    git just-show-me-whats-changed ... ?

... or is life just not meant to be so painless?

Is there a recommended beginner's guide to git?