Re: triviality with prompts

On 12/03/2014 01:22 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
(The special meaning of backslash to certain commands like print and echo is entirely separate from quoting, though often similar in effect.)
Yeah, that's a gotcha that I now get, but it sure caused me some grief. I wish there was some string modifier that distinguished between backslash as quote, and backslash as escape. Maybe that's not doable, but I run into situations where I need to protect a ' \n ' but don't care about stripping the backslash off what is a 'real' quoted character. I now know that the escape situation is, technically, not the shell's business, OTOH shell builtins might perhaps not be treated like total strangers when it comes to escapes since they are obviously in the family.