Re: Vimode problem (key press dropping)

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 29,  5:35pm, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> }
> } Well, what almost always happens is we eat the ^[[1 part and insert
> } the ~ literally, which is confusing.  If we literally inserted the
> } whole ^[[1~ string, it would be more obvious
>
> But "literally insert the whole string" presumes either that you are
> in the viins keymap to begin with, or that any unrecognized characters
> kick you into viins even if you started in vicmd.  Also, treating a
> leading ESC as a self-insert in viins is problematic.

I suppose in vicmd mode it would be problematic if the individual keys
were treated as commands, since 7~ will just toggle case 7 times. This
is what happens in vi though so... :). I was actually thinking about
emacs mode primarily when I wrote it though, I forgot what the thread
is about. And I didn't mean to say that unknown characters should be
self-inserted always, just treated on their own instead of eaten into
the undefined-key combo, but in emacs mode all the keys would most
likely be self-inserted. Anyway, I get the impression nobody else is
for this scheme.

--
Mikael Magnusson