Really detaching jobs

Assuming a client machine is running a terminal emulator which is
running an ssh connection to the server and zsh through that
connection:

  Client: rxvt -> ssh
  Server: sshd -> zsh ->some job

  $ cd gcc-sources/build
  $ make -k check-gcc

Is there a way to *really* detach the job so that it will complete
if I close the terminal emulator or kill the ssh connection?

  <ctrl-z>
  bg
  disown %

doesn't work and neither does

  make check-gcc &!

I could use nohup, but then I need to plan that before issuing the
command.  The cases I care about are really jobs like a test run
of Gcc which can take make hours and cannot be simply continued
after interruption.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^