convolutions

Gentlemen:

    echo "$(eval echo "\${$(cat in_file)}")" >! out_file

That's the best I've been able to do expanding color variables, eg. " ${red} " into their native " \e[31;1m " in a file. It's not a prize winner as far as zsh obfuscation goes, still, can it be done more simply? Also, I'd not be surprised to learn that there's one of those ancient little utilities that already does that:

    cat in_file | ancient_utility > outfile

is there?