Cancel zle -M on a keypress, use cursor keys

Hello,
I've written a Zle completion widget that edits BUFFER and proposes
matches via zle -M. I want to cancel the zle -M message when user does
anything different than browsing completions (done with Alt-h and
Alt-H). How to accomplish this? I guess I could somehow detect
self-insert, but it's quite invasive approach, and I already have "zle
-N self-insert url-quote-magic" in .zshrc.

I would also want to catch cursor keys and use them for browsing the
matches. How to do this, should I somehow use bindkey locally in the
widget?

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski