New zplugin feature (was: Re: How completions work, do they require fpath?)

On 31 January 2016 at 20:26, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You could try this:  Define your own "compdef" whose only action is
> to cache its arguments somewhere.  Load all the plugins, then after
> compinit is run, play back the cached compdef arguments with the real
> compdef.

I realized how great that idea is. Implemented it in zplugin, thus an
idiom is possible:

source '/Users/sgniazdowski/.zplugin/bin/zplugin.zsh'
zplugin load "some1/plugin1"
zplugin load "some2/plugin2"
zplugin load "some3/plugin3"
autoload -Uz compinit
compinit
zplugin cdreplay -q # -q is quiet

The difference between running compinit once and twice is huge,
following time differences are possible:
zsh -i -c exit  0,73s user 0,25s system 99% cpu 0,980 total
zsh -i -c exit  0,11s user 0,04s system 97% cpu 0,156 total
(for 3 plugins)
zsh -i -c exit  1,24s user 0,41s system 99% cpu 1,667 total
zsh -i -c exit  0,48s user 0,18s system 98% cpu 0,668 total
(for 40 plugins)

This is a very innovative, great thing. All current plugin managers
drifted towards double compinit calling, by force of lack of
shadowing:
https://github.com/tarjoilija/zgen/blob/master/zgen.zsh#L471-L475
https://github.com/zsh-users/antigen/blob/master/antigen.zsh#L441-L462

OMZ slowness is I guess also result of this.

Fun example:
% unfunction compdef
% zplg dtrace
% compdef _ls cp
% zplg dstop
% zplg cdlist
Recorded compdefs:
compdef _ls cp
% zplg cdreplay
Compinit isn't loaded, cannot do compdef replay
% autoload -Uz compinit
% compinit
% zplg cdreplay
Running compdef _ls cp