Re: Forgetting about compinit with manual alteration of _comps

On 10 February 2016 at 10:23, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, I'm not sure making a plugin loadable _either before or after_
> compinit is a good idea.  It may be simpler for plugin authors to expect
> to be loaded in one circumstance (say, after compinit) and ensure they
> emit a clear error message in the other circumstance (say, before
> compinit), than to eternally support two codepaths.

All this is a frustration about "compinit does everything". If there
was "compinit" and "compinit_examine_fpath", it would be all much
simpler. User would init completion at beginning of .zshrc, which is a
natural location for "init" things, and then "compinit_examine_fpath"
at end, which is also natural. All this resolved by providing
compdef() stub gathering compdef calls and allowing to replay them
after compinit placed at bottom of .zshrc.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski