Re: Extended globbing seems to have become much slower in recent versions of Zsh

On Feb 28,  9:18pm, Jesper Nygards wrote:
}
} The results of my experiments seem to indicate that something has changed
} relatively recently with regards to extended globbing.

There were a number of changes mostly related to correct handling of
multibyte characters and single bytes in the range 128-255 appearing
in file and directory names.  This means some strings are passing
through the "unmetafication" process more often than they were, but
I can't say for sure this is the source of any slowdown.

It'd be helpful if you re-ran your tests with more variations of the
pattern:

**/*
**/*(-.D)
**/*~(your long list of exclusions)
(#i)**/*~(your long list of exclusions)
**/*~(your long list of exclusions)(-.D)

Also, first declare "float SECONDS" and then use "print $SECONDS" instead
of "date", so we get a more precise measure of where the time is spent.