Re: substitution groups and patterns i replace string (Emacs' \\1 etc.)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 02:08:22 +0100
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I do substitution, can I do groups and patterns
> like in Emacs with \\1, \\2 to reference the
> particular matches, and thus construct the replace
> string out of them any way I like?

You do it with $match, and if you need to refer to positions in the
original string, $mbegin and $mend.  See the description of the (#b)
pattern in the zshexpn manual page.

local -a match mbegin mend

if [[ $url = (#b)http://(*) ]]; then
  print $match[1]
fi

Works with other forms of pattern matching.

pws