Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Next release (5.3)
- X-seq: zsh-users 21786
- From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Next release (5.3)
- Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:50:04 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=brasslantern-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=from:message-id:date:in-reply-to:comments:references:to:subject :mime-version; bh=B0bj+EY2mDgoNbyT00LrzIsPaQN5zGs1/WTrrGaTwOk=; b=b39sZyr2axMBUOQnG9/o7DxPBjNkvn9KG+fejw/Xr+MJKsgGm0U9uuYhr/lULFmh/v DLtlWUpjYlmISFgrV3FIMpKJgesW657Y0SEz+aDghWB/UsWu4yWB1flXbzatX4aSAAEr YgKTpq+vOdRQH7AYIaBxWLaf8Hhu+ET1GUq6k35sIc5Ctwe9z9exuEd3y+sxhtiitRWk YN8KjD8YWB12wVS4YeF7oJvU4u7CEW/yI2Pp452svo/TJMjaO78RsaCx79yFD3Kj8lRz nBHUg4OAgFcBD4kDCCXWvR5nidw2HaF2b//Q+ANx0CICxgd2uSv+Xs04rRaU3kjz4XNh NEHA==
- In-reply-to: <20160720130512.GA20398@zira.vinc17.org>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20160712075849.GG1537@isis.sigpipe.cz> <160712094017.ZM17395@torch.brasslantern.com> <20160720130512.GA20398@zira.vinc17.org>
On Jul 20, 3:05pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
} But it does not say how ".." is resolved. Using the realpath system
} call is a way (the only correct one) to resolve "..".
Well, no, that's not true. Using something that implements the same
algorithm as realpath is the only correct way to resolve a possible
chain of several relative and symbolic links.
But :a never said that it resolves symbolic links. It says it "turns
a file name into an absolute path". The doc probably should have said
"REMOVES any use of `..'" rather than "resolves", but there's no mention
of symbolic links at all.
You could argue that opendir("..") is the only correct way to "resolve"
".." but zsh has NEVER done that with "cd" except when CHASE_DOTS. As
has become apparent, PWS wanted :a to predict the result of "cd", not
to resolve symbolic links.
And :A starts out with "as :a" before it gets to the part about links.
Messages sorted by: