Re: How to detect that Zsh startup is result of exec zsh?

On 13 September 2016 at 15:30, Peter Stephenson
> BTW, telling you're in a subshell when you're still in the parent shell
> is actually easy:
>
> zmodload zsh/system
> if (( $$ ==  $sysparams[pid] )); then
>   print "I'm in the parent shell"
> else
>   print "I'm in a subshell"
> fi
>
> However, that's too early for you --- you need to know at the start of
> the new zsh.  I think some external mapping to PIDs is the only reliable
> way.
>
> pws

For me the two values are always the same:
https://asciinema.org/a/1tpk0k6jii36iwrzawlr2ador

This reminds me $ZSH_SUBSHELL that Mikael proposed, which is always 0 for me:
https://asciinema.org/a/1jtfup4jrl14w7bps84wupqai

Testing this on IRC bot gave correct result, i.e. "1" was assigned
after running zsh IIRC. So maybe this is OS X issue, maybe even the
same in both cases?

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski