vi mode reset

Hi,
I have recently upgraded from Debian stable to Debian stretch (well, it
is a couple of months ago and I have lived with the problem for so
long):

,----
| term.log.3.gz:Unpacking zsh (5.2-5) over (5.0.7-5)
`----

I run zsh in vi mode (using set -o vi)

However, since the upgrade I noticed that my zsh resets vi mode, on
various occasions, but I cannot reproduce exactly when exactly this
happens. I think this usually happens either if I am pasting something
into the terminal (using putty from Windows and pasting using
<shift><insert> keys) or running Vim.

What could be the cause for it and even more importantly, how can I make
sure, this does not happen anymore? This is driving me crazy...

Best,
Christian
--
Sechs Stunden sind genug für die Arbeit. Die anderen Stunden sagen zum
Menschen: Lebe!