Re: regression: zsh completion stopped working after upgrading zsh 5.2=>5.3

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Dec 27,  1:10pm, Timothee Cour wrote:
> }
> } See https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh-completions/issues/480 for details
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> Essentially, it was a bug that having ERR_RETURN set *ever* worked.
> There are a whole lot of commands in the completion system, mostly
> "zstyle" where the success or failure isn't consequential, that are
> run in contexts where they might return nonzero and trigger ERR_EXIT.
>
> The bug, fixed October 15 of 2016, was that ERR_RETURN was ignored in
> some cases where ERR_EXIT was not.
>
> You can fix this easily in your .zshrc by adding
>
> _comp_options+=(NO_err_return)
>
> after you run compinit.

Thanks, this workaround worked! It solves my issues.

Having ERR_RETURN set is helpful to catch bugs.

> where the success or failure isn't consequential

Isn't that a bug in those commands though?

> (Also, just to reply to your comment about going back to the 80s:  No,
> we don't require you to sign up for the mailing list in order to send
> us bug reports here.  But I would have to sign up for github to reply
> to your comment there, so ...)
>
> (Volunteers willing to spend time watching and updating a bug tracker
> are welcome to apply for the position.)

OK, I thought signup was required in order to post, as is the case in some
mailing lists.

Not intending to start a sterile flame war here, just my opinion:

* github/gitlab are widely used so no particular signup would be needed
* using github.gitlab, ppl can click on Watch to follow/unfollow individual
issues or all of zsh issues to choose how much email from github they
receive
* it would lower the barrier of entry to enter bugs, ie get bugs fixed
faster
* all benefits of bug tracker as opposed to mailling list [tracking bugs,
cross references, search etc]
* avoids revealing your email address
* this has been adoped by https://github.com/zsh-users [Zsh community
projects (not directly affiliated with the zsh project)] probably for a
combination of the above reasons