Conditionally complete on space.

Is it possible to have ZLE conditionally complete on a space?

I know that I can 'bindkey " " expand-or-complete' to get space to complete like tab. However, this does not play well when I want a true space.

Thus I want to conditionally complete if there is not a space proceeding the cursor's current position. If there is a space proceeding the cursor, then put a space and not call expand-or-complete.

I am guessing that I will need to modify expand-or-complete's behavior via modifying _main_complete, or wrap _main_complete with something else to do the conditional logic and then call _main_complete, and update zle so that expand-or-complete calls the wrapper instead of _main_complete.

Should such be possible?  Or am I waisting my time?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die