"Edit" files names

Hi everyone,

Let's assume I have a garbled file name that I want to rename more
conveniently into an editor, without painful escaping.

I'd like to do the following:

$ editname *garbled*

popping my $EDITOR with a file containing the original file name
(unescaped), and upon saving+closing, renames the original into the new
name provided. If the pattern expands to more files, it just repeats for
each file, in turn.

It's not hard to implement, but does anybody know of a tool which
already does that (or something very similar)?