multios stripping colors?

All:

    $   eval "$@"

That line in a function of mine can successfully eat some very complex input including various pipes and color codes.  However, when I try this:

$ eval "$@" >&2 >! /tmp/_output

Although I do get both outputs, the screen looses all colorized output that was previously there.  As I understand the docs, this might be expected at lest in so far as it seems to say that both outputs must be created at the same time, thus if there is some reason that color codes can't be sent to the file, then they won't be sent to the screen either. Is there anything I can do to get my color back?  On the screen at least.  I can send color escapes to a file and thecolors show upwhen the file is cat-ed, but I'm not sure that the colors as above can be sent to a file.  Can they? Seems to me I remember that they can't.