multios screen width issue

    $ aptitude why "grep" >&2 >! /_output _file

If I do the above in a narrowish terminal, the first line of output (" i   hibernate ...") is forced to wrap due to being rather long, but all subsequent lines are double spaced.  If the terminal is wider such that the first line does not wrap, then neither are there double spaces, OR, if I use:

    $ aptitude why "grep"

... the wrapping is always correct, even if the terminal is narrow -- the first line wraps but the subsequent lines are single spaced.  This is interesting because the issue of screen wrapping seems like it would not be effected by the addition of redirection to a file, since in that case line length issues would seem irrelevant, yet it interferes with proper line wrapping on the screen.