Re: activate alias inside subshell

BTW, results are hugely different if the redefined message function is redefined with or without 'function' prepended: " function msg () ... " vs. " msg () ... ".  Most comments found on the internet suggest there should be no difference but that is not so, one changes things externally, the other does not.  It added to the confusion.

Well zsh-5.5 behaves quite differently with or without '-f':

# . test1; test1
test1:6: defining function based on alias `msg'
test1:16: parse error near `()'
zsh: permission denied: test1

... so it seems that I'm not going to get away with my previous anymore.   Is there a new strategy that might work?  Nullify the function and/or the alias?  Really, just some way of stopping messages from printing at all?