Re: scp completion options

On Thursday 28 June 2018 13:26,
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> put forth the proposition:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM, David Woodfall <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I've still to discover why sometimes remote names get escape for no
> > apparent reason. eg I have a patch on the remote named:
> >
> > 0001-fix-typo-in-rc.geomyidae-slackware-init-script.patch
> >
> > This is the first item completed after hitting tab, but it is listed
> > as
> >
> > ^[k*^[\0001-fix-typo-in-rc.geomyidae-slackware-init-script.patch
>
> This is probably something being spat out by your shell startup on the
> remote host.  Go through your .zshenv, .zshrc, etc. (or equivalent
> files for other shell) on the remote host and make sure that nothing
> writes output such as terminal control sequences when the standard
> input is not a tty.  (It could also be something in /etc/zshenv in
> which case you're probably stuck unless you can become root on the
> remote host.)

Things I've tested so far:

I set my shell on the remote to bash. (It doesn't have anything
custom setup for bash because the server (slackware 14.2) is rather
newish and I haven't bothered.)

I unset LS_COLORS and LS_OPTIONS on remote and local (including
ZLS_COLORS on the local.)

I went through my local zsh files (but not system-wide yet) and
turned off anything that looked remotely 'colourish'.

I tried it outside of screen.

I tried it in xterm (I normally use urxvt).

No change.

Stumped at the moment.

--

                                                            .--.  oo