"operation not permitted"

I just did a clean install of macOS 13 (High Sierra) and have
encountered a few zsh shell scripts which say "operation not
permitted" when I try to run them

      zsh: operation not permitted: register-fluid.sh

but if I do this

     zsh =register-fluid.sh

then it works fine.

The shell script is in my $PATH and is executable. It's not doing
anything fancy. In fact I can include it here.

#!/usr/bin/env zsh -f
# Purpose:
#