Re: Several modules can only be used dynamically

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 8:18 AM Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 08:12 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> >
> > > Isn't the "approved" way to do this, to edit config.modules and change
> > > the link= value for any modules that can/should be static?
> >
> > Yes, that's neater; just make sure you rebuild from early enough
> > in the process --- the instructions say "make prep."
> >

> In my experience this isn't necessary - the make dependencies may have been
> updated since the instructions were last revised.  I change config.modules
> and then "make" fairly regularly when working on Zsh edits and have not
> observed it to go wrong.

"Neater", doing something like this between configure and make is rather
exceptional, I would not know how to do this for ex. with buildroot, and
other buildsystems like this can be expected to be able to patch the sources.
Wrenching some intermediate files seems less likely.

No chance of fixing this somehow at the configure level? That builds break under
some weird combinations is not really a excuse to prevent working builds.

Norbert
(and pls set me on CC, Im not registered to the list)