Re: completion of filenames

On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 07:59 -0800, Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 2019-12-10 8:59 a.m., Ray Andrews wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-12-10 8:30 a.m., Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > >

> > > Suffix aliases are already handled.  So if it's a file in the current
> > > directory,
> > > you should find typing ./<tab> completes files with a suffix alias
> > > defined.
> > >
> > > pws
> > >
> > Doesn't work.  This could be something I've botched up myself. Here's
> > what I think is relevant:
> >
> If no one has any ideas about this, I'm tempted to try to tinker with it
> myself.

[Haven't be been here before...?]

Well, you're welcome to do that, of course, but I can't help thinking
you're shooting yourself in the foot.  The system is designed to work
out of the box; while you can make it do other things, obviously that
implies you need some understanding of how it works before you can build
it up yourself.  Your questions don't tend to suggest that's currently
the case.  Background reading (such as Oliver's chapters in From Bash To
Z Shell) and studying the documentation and the shell code itself are
the first steps to getting there.  Questions here that are going to get
useful answers are probably going to be along the lines of "I read about
X but I don't understand Y" rather than "I don't know what to do but
maybe it's got something to do with Z".  (This is supposed to be
practical --- what I think people will respond to --- not normative ---
I'm not telling you to shut up.)

If you're trying to get completion for suffix aliases going, the normal
way to do this would be to assure yourself they work with a vanilla set
up, then see what configuration of yours is stopping it working.  In my
experience, this is generally more effective that telling people that
what you've currently got doesn't work.

pws