Re: Alias call in function fails...

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:55 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As Peter explained, initialization files, sourced files,
> and scripts (that are not function bodies) are executed one
> newline-separated command at a time (Peter said "line by line" but
> that's not precisely correct **)

Just realized I never completed my footnote.

** Csh notoriously executed even loops and conditionals one command at
a time, and in the case of loops would rewind the input file seek
pointer to the start of the loop and execute it again until the loop
condition became false.  I wrote some entertaining self-modifying csh
scripts back in the day.  Anyway that's one reason why aliases in csh
behave differently.