Re: _pick_variant

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 1:56 AM Thomas Lauer <thomas.lauer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 14:26:34 -0800 Bart Schaefer
> <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It is conceivably possible to rewrite compinit such that it does not
> > install completions for commands not found in $path
>
> This is indeed what I was half expecting, given that zsh completion is
> such a powerful and flexible beast.

The trouble with this is that there are completion routines included
with the distribution that are designed for autoloadable functions
also included with the distribution.  If compinit filters out
completions for commands not found in $path (plus builtins), it will
miss out the completions for those "standard" functions too.

It's probably just as well to let compinit do its usual thing and then
remove the completions you don't want, as discussed at
https://zsh.org/users/26048