Re: syntactic trivia

On 2021-01-02 10:05 a.m., Bart Schaefer wrote:

As usual, that's not quite it.
zsh is a woman.  You never quite have her figured out.

  (#i) et al. are part of the pattern,
just like * and ? and [abc] would be.  Conversely, (/N) and so on
refer to characteristics of any files (or their names) that are found
by scanning a directory with the pattern.

So it's '(#i)$1*'  forming a pattern and then this pattern is applied to whatever files '(/N)' spits out?  So first we'd get a list of directories and then we'd filter it with '(#i)$1*' ?  I'm not clear on the point at which we  know we are dealing with a list of files at all.  That could only be '(/N)' because otherwise '$1*' ... na ... nope ... what does the asterisk even mean outside a globbing context?  I don't get the parsing at all.