Re: less with subprocess

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:30:08PM +0200, Pier Paolo Grassi wrote:
> Hello, I have something like this:
>
> less -f <(sleep 100)
>
> actually the sleep is a find which does not produce any output for a long
> time at times, but the result is pretty much the same: less doesn't seem to
> be able to initialize if it doesn't receive an input, so it can't respond
> to sigint (ctrl-c), and I have to kill it from another shell
> I use it like this so I am able to use ctrl-c and +F inside less to move
> around in the output already received and receive the new input received in
> the meantime (with +F), so I would rather not us something like:

I'm not sure I understand what your usability problem actually is,
but to kill a less without input you can hit "ctrl-z" to put it in
the background an kill it with "kill %".  This will also kill the
background pipe process if it's listening to signals. (I.e. a
sleep will survive, but normal command won't.)

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt