Re: Zsh Rosetta Stone / ExplainShell equivalent

david rayner wrote on Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 18:52:01 +0000:

> On 01/12/2021 18:40, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 9:27 AM zzapper <zsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Zach I recovered the following page from the old zsh Wiki website from the wayback machine
> > >
> > > http://zzapper.co.uk/charindex.html

Thanks for digging that up.

When I look up the definition of ${(X)} or ${foo[(X)]} or ${foo:X} or %X
or *(X) in the manual, I don't always remember whether the string to
grep for is a bare "X" (at the start of the line with whitespace after
it), or X with its "sigil", i.e., "(X)"/":X"/"%x".  The format of that
page solves this problem.

> > If anyone would like to update this I expect we could get it onto the
> > zsh.org website.

Yeah.  We could add it to the FAQ sources, so it'll be updated in
lockstep with everything else in zsh.git and be updated automatically
upon new releases — but see below.

> > There are some obvious omissions even in the first few entries, for
> > example $'...' quoting which has been around for years.
> >
> Good idea If someone is able to do this I think they can just wget
>
> http://zzapper.co.uk/charindex.html
>

> The original page had some pretty complex css which I attempted to simplify.

What's the copyright license of the contents of the original page?

Cheers,

Daniel