_complete: insert unambiguous when globbing

Hello,

I'm struggling with something which felt basic, yet I cannot find a
valid solution (in any combination of remaining styles)...

mkdir empty
cd empty
touch 20{a,b,c,d}.x

ls 2[tab]	==> 20		this is expected
ls 2*[tab]	!=> 20		how to make this to be expanded first to

"20", and then the regular rules to proceed (either menu complete I
always use, or _expand)?

More advanced example:
ls 2*x[tab]	?=> 20[completions]x

And the most advanced:
ls 2*[tab]	?=> 20*.x	with the cursor placed after "*"

In the most advanced form, the _completion expands "2*", finds out there
is unambiguous "20" prefix and ".x" suffix and puts them into ZLE before
performing completion (in my case, menu).

In other words, I want the globbing _complete to behave like non-globbing one.

While the initial case is pointless (simply don't put the "*" at the
end), I'd like to use it when looking for specific file types. I often
look for logs in 2021.*.xz form and when there is too many matches I
want to narrow them down, but I could simply type 2*z[tab] to have the
same effect.

best regards,
--
Tomasz Pala <gotar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>