Re: problem with multi-byte character on command line (zsh v 5.8)

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 1:11 PM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just tried an ubuntu 18.04 with zsh 5.4.2 (x86_64-ubuntu-linux-gnu)
> and I am able to reproduce.

At least that rules out musl libc.

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 1:12 PM Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the locale I have tried en_US.utf8 and it_IT.utf8, can you share yours?

I'm using LANG=en_US.utf8 ... I don't have Italian locales installed.
I have not tried changing the locale variables other than LANG, should
I?  Or perhaps you need to provide more specific instructions.

I've tried Gnome terminal and xterm.  xterm is not able to display the
glyph at all (I just get a 2-position-wide box) but I am able to move
the cursor back and forth past it and insert single-byte characters
anywhere around it.

This is with the stock Ubuntu zsh 5.8 and with 5.9 built from git
clone.  I've also tried inserting the character into the line editor
both with copy-paste from your original email and with `print -z
$'\xf0\x9f\x8d\xbe'`