Re: Help: stty -echo

kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our zsh user logs in via X.25 and he wants local echoing.
> So he tried to switch off echoing by
>
> $ stty -echo
>
> However, the command has no effect in zsh. (It works in ksh, csh, bash.)
> The zsh versions we tried are 2.5.03 and 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.3 on Solaris 2.4.

If you're using the zsh line editor, you need to make sure anything
you want with local echoing gets called before the next prompt.

stty -echo; read foo

works.

This is possibly a bug because zsh is supposed to keep its own tty
settings separate from the ones with which it calls external
programmes, but it does do some sanitation.

--
Peter Stephenson <P.Stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Tel: +44 1792 205678 extn. 4461
WWW:  http://python.swan.ac.uk/~pypeters/      Fax: +44 1792 295324