Re: (NULL == 0) ?

On May 28, 12:00am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: (NULL == 0) ?
}
} > >A couple of other questions about Unix and C standards: does anything
} > >guarantee that a variable is always 8 * sizeof(var) bits long?
} >
} > Only if a byte is 8 bits long and there are no holes in the integral
} > types.  This type of holes are very rare, and we assume 8 bit bytes
} > elsewhere.  I don't think we actually assume this directly anyway.
}
} It is used to determine the size of buffers to store the string
} representation of an integer.  Just grep for 'SIZEOF_LONG \* 8'.

Hmm, shouldn't params.c be using the DIGBUFSIZ constant from system.h
everywhere, rather than [(SIZEOF_LONG * 8) + 4] in spots?

} ntype in struct node has to be at least 32 bit long but it is defined to
} int.  But it would be wasting of memory to use long on systems where int
} has 32 bits and long has 64.

I don't think that amount of extra memory usage should be of very much
concern.  How many 64-bit machines with small amounts of RAM or swap
would you really expect to encounter?  What's the point of having all
that address space if you can't use it?