Re: execcmd() reordering

Peter wrote about exec stuff:
>Here's a biggish patch which does that. ...

>2) Now `nocorrect' must appear before any of the above.

Why?

>3) Also, variable assignment must appear before exec and friends.
>Again, this is natural and is required in other Bourne shell clones.

There's a flag (-k, I think) which will allow the bourne shell to take
variable assignments at any point of the command - does this work?

>5) `noglob typeset foo=~/file' do not do tilde expansion without...

>Maybe we should change.  Even
>magic_equal_subst is fairly sparing about when to expand:  it insists
>on the text before the = consisting only of characters which appear in
>identifiers, something I wrote but now rather regret.

Is this the stuff we argued about years ago?  I'm all for a change here.

>6) globbing is expanded before the fork.

I don't like this at all.

>Other than getting the
>prompt back an iota later when running background commands, I don't
>see this is a big deal.

When you've got a *huge* expansion which is 50% of the run-time
of the command, I'd like to be able to get on with other things.

>  (vii) I get extra brownie points for doing this the week before the
>        annual lattice field theory conference where I'm giving a
>        talk.  Please don't tell my collaborators :-).

Have fun!

Duncan.