Regression tests

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Maybe it's time to put together some kind of regression-test script
> that can be run before each new release, to at least have some kind
> of confidence that new bugs haven't been introduced?

Obviously, this would be very useful.  I've looked into it a bit when
managing zsh, but never came around to it.

> It's probably impossible to test zle and completion from a script,
> which is too bad because of the number of completion bugs that
> showed up in the last few betas.

Anyone looking into this should take a look at "dejagnu", to be found
at any GNU archive.  It uses "expect", which is able to test
interactive programs like zsh by running them on a pty and simulating
interactive input.

Bas.