Re: options glob_assign/magic_equal_subst

Geoff Wing wrote:
> Heyla,
>  is option "magic_equal_subst" now obsolete and renamed/replaced by
>  "glob_assign" with a slightly different functionality and implementation?
>  I was checking my old versions 2.5.0/2.5.03 and it didn't seem to work
>  there anyway!  Perhaps my understanding of it is insufficient.
>  Anyone care to give an example?

Perhaps the revised manual entry below makes it clearer.

*** Doc/zshoptions.man.ass	Thu Sep  5 22:11:07 1996
--- Doc/zshoptions.man	Tue Sep 24 17:31:04 1996
***************
*** 202,215 ****
  Perform filename generation.
  .TP
  \fBGLOB_ASSIGN\fP
! If this option is set, \fIfilename generation\fP is performed on the right
! hand side of parameter assignments. If the result has more than one words
! the parameter will become an array. This was the default behaviour in
! earlier versions of \fBzsh\fP but it is incompatible with \fBsh\fP and
! \fBksh\fP. Also it is not possible to tell in advance wheter the result
! will be a scalar or an array. This option is provided for backwards
! compatibility only. Globbing is always performed on the right hand side of
! \fIname\fB=( \fIvalue\fB )\fR array assignments regardless of this option.
  .TP
  \fBGLOB_COMPLETE\fP
  When the current word has a glob pattern, do not insert all the words
--- 202,217 ----
  Perform filename generation.
  .TP
  \fBGLOB_ASSIGN\fP
! If this option is set, \fIfilename generation\fP (globbing) is
! performed on the right hand side of scalar parameter assignments of
! the form \fIname\fB=\fIpattern\fB (e.g. `param=*'). If the result has
! more than one word the parameter will become an array with those words
! as arguments. This option is provided for backwards compatibility
! only: globbing is always performed on the right hand side of array
! assignments of the form `\fIname\fB=( \fIvalue\fB )\fR'
! (e.g. `param=(*)') and this form is recommended for clarity;  with this
! option set, it is not possible to predict whether the result will be
! an array or a scalar.
  .TP
  \fBGLOB_COMPLETE\fP
  When the current word has a glob pattern, do not insert all the words
***************
*** 327,336 ****
  List jobs in the long format by default.
  .TP
  \fBMAGIC_EQUAL_SUBST\fP
! All unquoted arguments of the from \fIidentifier\fB=\fIexpression\fR
! have file expansion performed on \fIexpression\fR as if it were a
! parameter assignment, although the argument is not otherwise treated
! specially.
  .TP
  \fBMAIL_WARNING\fP (\-\fBU\fP)
  Print a warning message if a mail file has been
--- 329,340 ----
  List jobs in the long format by default.
  .TP
  \fBMAGIC_EQUAL_SUBST\fP
! All unquoted arguments of the form \fIidentifier\fB=\fIexpression\fR
! appearing after the command name have filename expansion (that is,
! where \fIexpression\fR has a leading `~' or `=') performed on
! \fIexpression\fR as if it were a parameter assignment. The argument is
! not otherwise treated specially: in other words, it is subsequently
! treated as a single word, not as an assignment.