8-bit characters in history and completion

Some time between 2.6-beta14 and 2.6-beta19 completion changed wrt
8bit characters. First example is with 3.0.1-test.

% ls
ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/
% ls h<TAB>
ha/     he/     hi/     ho/     hr/     hu/     hy/     h\M-d/ h\M-v/ h\M-|/
% /usr/local/bin/zsh-2.6-beta14
% ls h<TAB>
ha/  he/  hi/  ho/  hr/  hu/  hy/  hä/  hö/  hü/

Is this intentional? Can I influence the behaviour?  I prefer the beta14 way to
display the real 8-bit character (and the spacing looks also better, imho).

I discovered that in history something similar happended between beta10 and
beta13, although beta10 looks buggy in another way:

% echo hü
hü
% history -1
  501  echo h\M-|
  502  history -1
% exec /usr/local/bin/zsh-2.6-beta10
% echo hü
hü
% history -1
  501  echo h^ü
  502  history -1

Let me know, if you need additional info.

Thanks for the zsh!
andreas