Re: zsh 3.0.1 command line editor or terminal i/o bug?

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Robert F Tobler wrote:

> Subject: zsh 3.0.1 command line editor or terminal i/o bug?
>
> When I just tried zsh 3.0.1 on my i386-next-nextstep3 I noticed the following
> problem: when tying very fast using Ctrl-A and Ctrl-K as well, I can get into
> a weird screen update problem, where each additional entered character
> triggers a redraw of the whole line, but with a carriage return before
> redrawing, and sometimes even some characters will be drawn on top of each
> other!!!
We have that too ! My favorite way of messing up the screen was:
doing:	cd _some_large_directory_
typing:	ls *
expanding the '*' by hitting <Tab>
typing:	<Ctrl-A>

Then every character typed  echos the whole start of line up to this
character as:
aa...rest_of_line...
abab...
abcabc...
abcdabcd...  and so on.

The rest of the line is moved correctly as if I had typed twice as many
characters as I really hit.  But sometimes the screen scrolls up, so I
assume the end of the line overruns the lowest rightmost position on the
screen. Many users have run into similar behaviours since we switched to
3.0.1 and 3.0.0 does NOT do it.

Stucki

Christoph von Stuckrad       * *  | talk to  | <stucki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> \
Freie Universitaet Berlin    |/_* | nickname | ...!unido!fub!leibniz!stucki|
Fachbereich Mathematik, EDV  |\ * | 'stucki' | Tel:+49 30 838-7545{9|8}    |
Arnimallee 2-6/14195 Berlin  * *  |  on IRC  | Fax:+49 30 838-5913        /