Re: zle interface improvement

Wayne Davison wrote:
>One miniscule optimization would be to allow non-module code to call
>zle directly if zle is known to be a non-module.
>This would allow someone to compile a non-module version of zsh with
>no extra overhead, so it might be worth the extra complexity (or it
>might make so little difference as to be worthless).  Just a thought...

That *could* be done without having incompatible module interfaces (but
it's more complicated than the code you suggest).  But this buys very
little (try grepping for trashzle and the others), and it forces a
complete rebuild if the linked-in-ness of ZLE changes.  At the moment
I'm happily swapping modules in and out of my development executable,
only recompiling init.c each time.  (Remember, gdb can't debug
modules.)

-zefram