Are completion and prompt expansion 8-bit clean?

Hi everyone,

Being a francophone, I like using filenames with french characters.
I usually have no problem with it except in two situations.

The first one is with completion:

touch élément1 élément2

ls é<TAB>							  (expands into)
ls élément<TAB>                 (lists \M-il\Miment1 \M-il\M-iment2)

The second one is with prompt expansion:

PS1="%~ %h> "
mkdir élément
cd élément

The prompt is

\M-il\M-iment 4>

instead of

élément 4>

As far as I can tell, these are the only cases where characters with
the 8th bit set are not printed correctly.

I have seen this behaviour in zsh-3.0.2 and zsh-3.1.2

Regards,

Alain Caron
Sanga Research Corporation
alainc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx