Re: zsh-3.1.2-zefram3 - first experience

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Andrew Main wrote:

> >4. Finally, after I managed to compile it, I lost ZLE!!! All seems to
> >work, zle.so, comp1.so, compctl.so are loaded, bindkey shows all bindings,
> >but when I try to use *any* bound character, I get no effects. '^P' gives
> >fine message `'^P' not found" :-)
>
> "'^P' not found" sounds like it's looking for a *function* called '^P'.
> What bindkey instructions are you executing on startup?

Oops!! I totally forgot, that libzsh.so is not installed when I do
make install :-(

This opens up two questions:

  1. libzsh.so *must* be installed. I think, it was on Zoltan's to do
     list ...

  2. There must be a way for several dynamic ZSH versions to coexist. It
     can be done in (at least) two ways:

     - easy and portable :)
         just build (and link with) libzsh.x.y.z.so instead of libzsh.so
         It will run on every system which supports shared libraries

     - at least on SVR4 is possible to give shared library a name (-h
       option). If library libfoo.so was built with -h libfoo.so.x.y.z,
       then after initial linking with -lfoo run time loader will look
       for libfoo.so.x.y.z. I think, it works this way on Linux as well.

Zefram, I think you were the author of most dynamic hacks. What do you
think?

BTW this version defaults to -O -g compiler options and -s linker option.
I would expect developer version to not be stripped, and -O -g doesn't
work with most compilers.

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@xxxxxx