Re: Use of tt() formatting in yodl doc sources

On Jun 5,  9:32am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Use of tt() formatting in yodl doc sources
}
} "Bart Schaefer" wrote:
} > When translating yodl to info, the tt() text style comes out like this:
} >
} > 	`teletype'
}
} I have to work around this problem in the FAQ.  [...] What I did is
} defined a mytt() macro which expands to `this' for plain text, but
} does tt(this) for other modes.

In this case it's makeinfo that's adding the quotes; e.g.

          yodl         texinfo        info
	--------     -----------     ------
	tt(text) --> @code{text} --> `text'
	em(text) --> @emph{text} --> *text*

(Never mind that tt(x) ought to be @kbd{x}, the end result for info files
is the same.)

The problem, according to Zefram, is that you can't redefine the notion
of @code{} in the makeinfo pass.  He's right, but I was hoping for a fix
upstream of that.  Unfortunately, the only one that's workable seems to
be to generate two .texi files, one for producing printed documentation
and using @code{}, the other for the producing the info files and leaving
off the @code{}.

On the other hand, it does seem silly to -both- quote things -and- set
them in a special typeface.  Why do the .yo files do stuff like `tt(&)'
in the first place?  Removing the `' in the .yo source would clear up a
lot, though not all, of the confusion.  (The remaining sillyness is with
stuff like tt(`) and tt(') which become ``' and `'', but at the moment
they often become ```'' and ``''' which is totally weird.)