Re: up-line-or-search still 'fixed'!

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> If this were the IETF (which thank goodness it isn't, but) we'd take
> a straw poll at this point.  So far I'm "hearing" a lot of protest
> about this change from actual users of the shell and support only
> from those interested in internal architecture.  Are we writing
> usable software or carrying on an academic excercise?

The former, but people are also aiming for internal beauty and
simplicity, I think.  (Well, maybe it's more "practical
maintainability" than "simplicity".)

Maybe somebody could summarise the specific question?  I've not
noticed any particular change recently: the last change that irritated
me a bit was the */ becoming *(/), which I understand was necessary,
but I used */ quite a bit.

Maybe if the interface that's changed was described concisely,
together with the reasons for changing it, then it would be obvious to
people that it was worth keeping, or some workaround would become
clearer?