Re: zsh - new user with questions

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Aug 19,  7:35pm, Goran Larsson wrote:
> } Subject: Re: zsh - new user with questions
> }
> } 1. If we have a filename with the name "Strasse" and one with the
> }    name "Straße". Both filenames are created when the English
> }    language is selected. If the German language is selected later,
> }    wich one of them should be accessed as "STRASSE"?
> }
> } 2. If we have a filename with the name "Straße" you can access it
> }    as "STRASSE" if you select German, but not if you select English.
>
> He's not suggesting changing the behavior of the file system, he's
> suggesting changing the behavior of completion.  That is, if in zsh
> you typed
>
> zsh% ls STRASSE<TAB>
>
> then zsh would complete case-insensitively and you'd see
>
> zsh% ls Straße
>               ^
> 	      cursor here
>
> The actual _access_ to the file still has to use its "real" name.
>
> Now, it's a bit more difficult to deal with cases where two characters
> maps onto one like that, because zsh normally assumes that completion
> can only produce longer words ... but otherwise it's neither impossible
> nor a problem for file creation or access.

Well, *this* example is even worse: in most cases people wouldn't type
the uppercase version, but the lowercase one, agreed? Now, the full
rule for `ß (es-zet) in an all-uppercase word' is: use `SS' if that
doesn't make the word ambiguous. E.g `Masse' becomes `MASSE' and
`Maße' becomes `MAßE', even if it looks ugly.

So, a `ß' on the line would have to match `ß' and sometimes `SS'.

Bye
 Sven

P.S.: The new orthography rules for German remove the ß entirely ;-)