Determing type for command name

I find myself needing to selectively undefine aliases or functions
in different situations. The whence -v command, which gives a verbose,
English description, will suffice, but doesn't seem robust enough
to me. More specifically, there's no guarantee that the descriptions
won't change without warning between releases. Can we have a new
flag on whence that will cause it to print a single, well-defined,
and documented word for each of the possibilities?

--Nik Gervae
  PDI
  See our film "Antz" in theaters October 2!