Re: 3.0 DESTDIR

> However, I now can't see how
>
> 	make DESTDIR=/foo/bar/baz install
>
> differs in end result from
>
> 	make
> 	make prefix=/foo/bar/baz/usr/local install

Well, I can answer that since my surprise at those two not being effectively
the same is precisely the reason I wanted DESTDIR in the first place:
(illustration using bart7)

% ./configure --prefix=/usr
[output elided]
% make
[output elided]
% make prefix=/tmp/zshtest/usr install
[output elided]
% strings /tmp/zshtest/usr/bin/zsh | grep tmp
/tmp/zshtest/usr/share/zsh/functions
/tmp/zshtest/usr/lib/zsh/3.1.6-bart-7
/tmp/zsh
/tmp/zsh
/var/log/wtmp
/var/run/utmp
% /tmp/zshtest/usr/bin/zsh -f
% echo $fpath
/tmp/zshtest/usr/share/zsh/functions

The functions are there, as are the modules, but if you were to
chroot to /tmp/zshtest, you'd be screwed.

DESTDIR provides a safe way to guarantee against this sort of thing
because nothing depends on it but the install, whereas prefix is used
to generate fndir and libdir, which are then used in the somewhat
unexpected recompile and relink during the install target.  I hope
that that was coherent.