RE: PATCH: hidden matches in menu-select

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > And: should we try to change what is
> > displayed for those multiple-matches-with-the-same-display-string?
> >

> I am mot sure if you mean the same thing ... Of course, it would be nice to see
> "context" for those matches (or, more generally, how they differ). The
> alternatives off head may be
>
> - kind of status line. This may also be used to display per-item help string or
> like. This probably will require significant changes in the code.

This isn't exactly useful, because if you move the cursor over one of
those multi-matches, you'll of course see the difference -- because
then the match is inserted in the line.

The question is if we need to display the differences in the list
itself. One reason I forgot to mention why I didn't spend more time
trying to implement that is: this doesn't happen very often. You'll
probably find some examples for when it does happen with _path_files.
Indeed, I'm almost expecting some more `bug' reports for it from you
after this patch ;-)

> - grouping of matches with the same context. Of course, combining it with any
> user-defined grouping may be ehh ... tricky.

That's why I didn't use Peter's suggestion of stuffing all those
matches in an extra group (we would have to use multiple extra
sub-groups, I think).

Bye
 Sven