optimisations

Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> The last one is a bit unfortunate, but just "compinit" (without even
> trying any completions yet) adds half a megabyte to the RSS of zsh on
> my system, and it only goes up from there as functions autload and
> start caching their results in shell variables.

This reminds me.  Not only does the completion system make the
environment, and hence memory usage large, but it slows startup down.
Are there any significant optimisations which can be done?  Maybe
caching some of the large associative arrays to disk in (say) DBM
format so that several shells can share them?  I know this is already
done in .zcompdump ... any others?  (I've been meaning to do this for
_man, actually.)  I notice that $history gets set to the whole
history; what uses that?  I have HISTSIZE=5000 so this variable is
fairly sizeable!